Spring Term 2017
Highlights of the term:-
Bikeability , Visit to The Globe Theatre, Year 5 Talks, Science Competition, Year 6 visit to Cambridge University Chemistry Department , World Book Day and History Off the Page.
We will focus on Greek Myths and write our own versions. We will write in a range of non-fiction forms linked to our topic including; biographies, recounts, diary entries and newspaper reports. Spelling , punctuation and grammar continues. Year 6 receive additional homework , due in on a Friday. Please ensure that your child continues to read daily at home and has a suitable book to read in school. This term year 5 will be planning and delivering a talk to another year group.
We continue to calculate in increasingly complex contexts and ensure that we have a secure written method for long multiplication and long division.
We will be learning to work out percentages and converting fractions to decimals and percentages. We will explore ratio and proportion word problems.
We continue to explore shape, time, angles , perimeter and area. We will work on non- verbal reasoning sequences.
Mental Maths continues on a Friday morning. Please have your book in school during the week if you need help with any particular questions.
This term we are exploring chemistry . We will investigate materials and their properties. We will examine changes in materials. We will also introduce the periodic table and begin to learn some of the key elements.
History and Geography
We will explore the country of Greece. We will investigate the world of Ancient Greece.
To explore the teaching of Buddhism.
To explore what Easter means to Christians.
To explore the history of computing.
To know how to keep safe on the internet
To use Scratch to explore simple programmes
Autumn Term 2016
Meet The Teacher - Thursday 8th September
Notes from the meeting: -
- Please ensure that your child has a water bottle in school daily
- Please ensure that your child has a reading book in school daily - this may be a book from home or school
- Children may filter into the classroom from 9:50 and are registered at 9:00
- Full P.E kit needs to be in school each day- sorts, tee shirt, tracksuit and trainers.
- Pencil cases should be flat enough to fit into drawers or returned to school bags. All children need a black writing pen and a glue- stick. These need to be checked and replaced as needed. A few coloured pencil crayons, some fine liners and a short ruler are also useful. Please avoid anything sparkly or neon. A black and a purple fine liner are the most useful. Please name items and avoid lots of expensive stationary!
- Homework- Mental Maths is due in every Friday. Reading and spelling daily. Please ensure that Spelling Book is in school every day as we use it in class. Spelling Tests will be on a Thursday. Year 6 will get additional homework later in the year
- Please pop in to see me if you have any concerns or important information to pass on
Please pop in if you have any questions.
Useful Information about this Term
- Tuesday 13th September - dressing up for Roald Dahl Day
- Tuesday 11th/Thursday 13th October - Parent's Evening
- Wednesday 19th October - Theatre Visit - The Railway Children
- Friday 21st/Monday 31st of October - INSET DAYS
N.B - next term - January 2017 - Bikeability - please check that you have returned a form and that you have a bike and helmet ready.